Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 3- Klein "Reflection #1- Explorations in MBT".

I believe that this course has provided us with many positive strategies for teaching more effectively in our classrooms.  The BTT Model gives us a great insight in the how and why of teaching to the whole child, while engaging multiple methods of leaning. 

One of the main ways that I've personally been able to incorporate my learning into the classroom is by keeping in mind some of the common neuromyths and making sure to avoid them as a teacher.  I often see colleagues looking for that one "magic button" to get through to a child, and have been guilty of looking for it myself in the past on an occasion or two.  I personally feel that finding one way to get through to a student and over relying upon that is often an attempt to take the easy way out, while in the long run it makes it much more difficult to teach the child when they don't respect or acknowledge anything besides your use of that magic button.

 I've also been very interested in the sections regarding how to set the stage for learning, by controlling the environment, making it feel safe and comfortable emotionally for students, welcoming them as they arrive, and allowing them to use hands-on activites and the arts as forms of expression.  I've always incorporated parts of this in my teaching, but I find it wonderful to see the research behind it and am very excited to learn more. 

From a time standpoint, I've been keeping up fairly well.  The discussions and readings are  exciting and easy to stay involved with.  The most difficult portion of the class to keep up with is the group work.  Getting 5 people who are all maintaining families and 40 plus hour work weeks on the same schedule can be difficult.  Our group has reworked some responsibilities to alleviate time issues, however I truly believe that the main discussion and readings have been more benefitial than the group work thus far, even with many in the group putting forth a very strong effort.

1 comments:

Sharon D. said...

Hi Erin,
It’s so validating when we find out that our favorite teaching strategies are supported by research. After reading your posts these last few weeks, I suspect you’ll encounter this feeling a lot as you move through the MBT program.

As for neuromyths, the one that seems most confounding concerns Learning Styles. A few years ago I heard Daniel Willingham speak on this topic. The folks sitting at my table were not only surprised, many of them were actually angry. So much time, effort, and money has been invested in the concept of Learning Styles that a lot of people can’t let go. But, hey, he posits a very firm argument. I have to say I agree with him 100%

As for the “group work” issue -last year a few students had some difficulties in this area. They tended to “overwork” the assignments. For big group discussion you do not need always to put up a deeply philosophical and lengthy post. (Save that for your individual assignments!) Also remember for small group discussion if everyone follows the team protocols in a timely fashion the ‘ole saying “many hands make light work” comes into play.
Best regards,
Sharon

Post a Comment